Thursday, January 21, 2010

When I Wake Up

Eyes Open. Bob Marley staring straight back at me, laughing, smoking, enjoying his enormous spliff. As my eyes wander across my ceiling, Red, Blue, Gold, White, Green and Black - the colors of the South African Flag. Reminiscent of the 6 months i lived there. A great time in my life. It seems so distant, a little over a year ago when i first moved to that wonderful place. Pictures of friends and family greet my sleep deprived eyes. As i turn over, my ears are filled with the constant, annoying ringing of my cell phone, letting me know that it's time to get up. Accompanying my phone on my beside table are my glasses, a candle with a slightly lopsided open book of matches, and my alarm clock, which never gets used and actually does not read the correct time. Next is my desk. The black lamination glued over recycled cork board -a cheap buy from target. Blue curtains keep the light out of my eyes for the time being, they also provide a nice change in color from the Brown carpet, brown painted walls, and now brown comforter and brown sheets that adorn my tiny bed. Maps of South Africa, of mountains snowboarded stream into my consciousness and i look at the towel and washcloth hanging on the back of my door and know that i need to get up and go to work. Countless books lay on my shelves: Cormac McCarthy, Hunter Thompson, Franz Kafka, George Orwell, endless history volumes - some read, some not- and Joyce. I see him sitting there and glaring out at me. As my brown covers are thrown off, revealing cold feet and the legs accompanying them, brown sheets come into focus... I need a different color set of sheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment